National & International Opportunities

UIC Awards

Graduate students at UIC are eligible to apply for a number of awards provided for students just at UIC as well as students enrolled in the University of Illinois system. These awards are as follows – click the name of the award for further information.

Three Minute Thesis (3MT)

In order to submit an entry for the 3MT competition, please complete this two-part application process:

First, complete the application form found at

Second, upload your video submission to the following Box folder. Your submission can be either a text document with a link to a video-hosting website (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) or the video itself.

If you are unable to load to box send a YouTube or other hosting link to with 3MT Video and your name in the subject line.

Scholarship Association

The Scholarship Association of UIC provides a large number of diverse awards for UIC students, listed in alphabetical order on the page linked above. Not all awards are open to graduate students. Awards for which graduate students may apply include the following:

CCSGLBTI Graduate Award
John E. and Marguerite B. Corbally Award
Bassett, Chiswick, Kosobud and Stokes Award
Josephine Margraff Memorial Award
Sylvia L. Saffrin Memorial Award
Kathy Hill Cawthon Memorial Award
Chicago Bar Association Criminal Justice Graduate Award
Michael J. Piorkowski Award
Richard H. Ward Award
Sandra and Furio Alberti Memorial Award

U of I System

U of I children of employees, children of veterans, and senior citizens tuition waivers

As a state institution, the University of Illinois provides waivers for children of U of I employees, children of veterans of Illinois, and senior citizens.

Regional and Institutional Nomination Opportunities

The following are funding options for students that require departmental nomination, for Graduate College endorsement.

Midwest Association of Graduate School

The Midwest Association of Graduate Schools routinely has awards for which the Graduate College nominates applicants. Announcements will be circulated related to these opportunities.


US Federal Funding Opportunities

Fulbright Foreign Student Program

The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program operates in more than 155 countries worldwide. Approximately 4,000 foreign students receive Fulbright scholarships each year.

The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies. All Foreign Student Program applications are processed by these offices.

Program eligibility and selection procedures vary widely by country. Please use the drop-down menu here to find information about the Fulbright Program in your home country, including eligibility requirements and application guidelines. If your country is not listed there, you are not eligible to apply.

The role of UIC’s Graduate College is to serve as liaison between the U.S. funding agency and the Office of Graduate Admissions, during the placement process, and then once matriculated at UIC, it services the fellowship waiver.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Fulbright fellowships, through the U.S. State Department provides for teaching, research, and study opportunities internationally for U.S. citizen students in various disciplines. Almost 200 countries are viable sites for placement. The national deadline is in October, but UIC graduate students must meet an earlier campus deadline and pass through a campus evaluation process. UIC’s campus deadline is September 9, 2019. Graduate students and alumni from UIC’s graduate programs should contact Benn Williams (, their dedicated university Fulbright Program Advisor. (Undergraduates and undergraduate alumni should contact Kim Germain in the Office of External Fellowships.) See updates here.

Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship

The Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship provides opportunities for U.S. early and mid-career professionals and practitioners to serve in professional placements in a foreign government ministry or institution in partner governments around the world. Fulbright Public Policy Fellows build mutual understanding and contribute to strengthening the public sector while cultivating public policy experience in their desired area of expertise. The Fulbright Public Policy Fellowship also includes an independent research component that focuses on an issue that is beneficial for the host ministry and the Fellow.

National deadline: September 16, 2019.

U.S. Fulbright-Hays Dissertation Fellowship

The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Fellowship Program provides opportunities for full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies. Students may request funding for a period of no fewer than six months and no more than 12 months. Funds support travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research; maintenance and dependents(s) allowances based on the location of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s); an allowance for research-related expenses overseas; and health and accident insurance premiums. Applicants should plan to have a teaching career in the U.S. after completion of the doctorate. A distillation of the FOA can be found here. The application process is onerous — please communicate with the Fellowships and Awards Coordinator if you plan to apply.

The last campus deadline was June 20, 2018.  Cf. the brochure


Boren Fellowship for International Study

This award provides for a structured language study component to graduate education, in areas related to U.S. National Security (broadly defined). Fellowships provide up to $24,000 for overseas study and immersion (minimum 12 weeks and maximum one year overseas.) Preference is given to proposals for 6+ months in duration for linguistic and cultural immersion, 3-6 months for applicants in the STEM fields. In exchange for funding, Boren Fellows commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.

Graduate students through the Boren Embark portal for this fellowship in the early spring. The Fellowships and Awards Coordinator can assist with the fellowship application. (The Boren scholarship is for undergraduates.)

DAAD Study Scholarships and Research Grants

This award funds study and research in Germany. UIC has an internal competition each fall and evaluated students are then put forward to DAAD for consideration.

National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program

This is a very generous award that currently funds students at a level of $30,000 for up to three years. A variety of disciplines are eligible to apply, so please check out the website. Students apply at-large in mid-November, but the Fellowships and Awards Coordinator has information on this award.

Smithsonian Institution Office for Fellowships and Internships

These are a number of options especially geared toward art history and museum studies students.

Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship

This is a great opportunity for students looking to enter the Foreign Service upon graduation.

U.S. Department of Education

While not the easiest sight to navigate, this outlines many of the federal options awarded to departments/programs that students can work under, along with individual grants available to students to apply at-large for consideration.

A fellowship will affect federal student loan or work-study. Typically, students with fellowships may not be permitted to borrow small amounts of federal loans due to cost of attendance regulation.  Check with the Office of Student Financial Aid on eligibility requirements.

If you have already received a refund for the current year in federal loans and you accept a fellowship, you may be responsible to return this refund to UIC.  Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for further information.

If applying for loans and/or work-study a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed.  See the Graduate Student Guide from the Office of Student Financial Aid for more information.