Annual Graduate College Outstanding Thesis and Dissertation Award
Every calendar year, each graduate program can nominate one masters and one doctoral student. The student must have already officially graduated, and must be from a program that is within the Graduate College.
For the 2019 cycle, eligible students are those whose degree was officially awarded by UIC in Fall 2018, Spring 2019, or Summer 2019.
The Director of Graduate Studies for a program must put forth the nomination of the outstanding thesis or dissertation.
The program/department collects and submits the following items as a single PDF file to the Graduate College via a secure link, for review by the Awards Committee:
- A completed Annual Graduate College Outstanding Thesis and Dissertation Award Application (fillable Word template).
- A letter of nomination from the Director or Graduate Studies or Department Head discussing the student in general terms.
- A letter of support from the primary advisor (i.e., the advisor responsible for the research for the thesis) that explains the impact of this research on the field.
- A copy of the thesis abstract (refer to the Graduate College Thesis Manual for format; however, the limit on length does not apply for this submission). Supplied by student.
- A concise (300-word maximum) description of the significance of the research presented in the dissertation or thesis. This may be based on the abstract but it should be written in language suitable for faculty from neighboring or allied disciplines. Supplied by student.
- A current curriculum vita that includes a list of awards, honors, publications, and presentations. Supplied by student.
Historically, each program has been limited to ONE master’s and ONE doctoral nomination. This year we are allowing large graduate programs (master’s + doctoral = 100+ students enrolled annually, averaged over last five years) to submit TWO master’s theses and TWO dissertations. Please use our enrollment reports to verify eligibility.
frequently asked questions
When you are ready to upload the PDF file to the Graduate College, click on the Box link provided below and file in the correct division by 4 p.m. (Central on October 25, 2019.
- The Graduate College uses the secure University of Illinois Box for all submissions. Box accounts are free to all UIC students, staff and faculty.
- Go to https://uofi.box.com/v/OTD2018submissions and upload your file(s) to the correct divisional folder.
- Or, email your file(s) to the appropriate division: AH / EMPS / LS / BSS