You are here
What is the Performance Evaluation Process?
At the end of each semester, students who are registered for GC 510/511 will sign up for a PE time. PEs are generally conducted in weeks 14 and 15, during regular class times.
- On the day of the PE, the ITA will check-in 5 minutes before their scheduled time at Behavior Sciences Building (BSB) 235. (ITAP is located on the second floor, near the central staircase.)
- Two evaluators will be present to videotape and rate the presentation; both evaluators will observe and rate language production skills, as well as act as “students” and rate presentation and interaction skills. As "students" the evaluators will take notes, ask questions, and interact with the ITA as if they were in an actual classroom situation.
- At the end of the presentation, the evaluators may ask an additional question or two for clarification.
- The ITA will then present a quiz question to be answered by the evaluators. The ITA will explain and discuss the answer with them in order to simulate an interaction that might take place during the ITA’s office hours or classroom.
- Results for the PE are sent to the ITA via email during week 16 of the semester. The ITA’s department is also sent a letter stating the ITA’s Oral English Proficiency Certification status and TA teaching recommendations.
Frequently Asked PE Questions
What is a Performance Evaluation (PE)?
How do I prepare for the PE?
What are Acceptable PE Topics?
Who is required to take a PE?
How long does it take to get the results of a PE?
How is the PE scored?
Can I use this PE score at other institutions?
What does my score mean?
How often can I take a PE?