You are here
The PASSAGE Scholars Program
PASSAGE Scholars Program
The Graduate College's (GC) new PASSAGE Scholars Program is a doctoral transition experience for historically underrepresented (African American, Latino, and Native American) students entering PhD programs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). The purpose of the program is to prepare participants for the rigors of graduate study in STEM disciplines at UIC. In this program students acclimate themselves to their respective graduate programs, to the UIC campus, and to the city of Chicago - eight weeks before they begin their doctoral studies in August 2014. The program dates are: mid-June to early August 2014. Here's an overview of the program:
- A $4000 stipend for living expenses
- Summer Housing (Required - Ends 8/15/14)
- Summer Tuition Waiver and Paid Fees (2nd Summer Session)
Transition to Graduate School
- Summer rotation with a STEM faculty research mentor
- Weekly workshops led by STEM faculty and advanced doctoral candidates
Mentoring and Career Development
- Participation in GC-sponsored Mentoring & Support Initiative
- Participation in GC-sponsored Career Development Workshops
Degree Progress and Placement Incentives
- Up to $500 upon advancement to PhD candidacy
- Up to $500 for post-graduate job interview travel
The Transmittal Form provides specific instructions for submitting applications for the 2014 PASSAGE Scholars Program. Applications must be uploaded to the UIC Box account via the following link:
Upload 2014 PSP Nomination PDF File(s) to the Graduate College Here
[Deadline: May 1, 2014]
Directors of Graduate Study (DGS) must nominate students. The DGS's nomination letter should detail why the student should be admitted to the 2013 PASSAGE Scholars Program with specific mention of the students' strengths, weaknesses, and goals for the student summer. The nominee's personal statement should detail why they should be admitted to the 2014 PASSAGE Scholars Program, and include details about their own academic and career goals as well as their own goals for the summer.
Application Deadline and Selection
- The application deadline is: Wednesday, May 1, 2014.
- The PASSAGE Scholars Program Advisory Committee will review applications and will announce the six students accepted for the summer 2014 program by Friday, May 16, 2014.
For more information contact Demetria Ward-Kato, Graduate School Specialist at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 413-2559.
The Graduate College's PASSAGE Scholars Program is sponsored by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) 2012-14 Award for Innovation in Promoting Success in Graduate Education along with a contribution from the UIC campus.
Learn more about the UIC ETS/CGS Award and the Council of Graduate Schools at: http://www.cgsnet.org/university-illinois-chicago-wins-etscgs-award-innovation-promoting-success-graduate-education.