You are here
Graduate Mentoring Awards
The Graduate College is pleased to invite nominations for the Seventh Annual Graduate Mentoring Awards.
Graduate Mentoring Awards are designed to encourage and award excellence and innovation in all aspects of graduate mentoring. Each year the Graduate College will provide up to four awards of $2,000 each per year.
Izzet Coskun, Professor, Mathematics, Statitistics, & Compuer Science
Claire Decoteau, Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Sociology
Robert Johnston, Professor and Director of the Teaching of History Program, History
Nominees must be full members of the graduate faculty at UIC, actively engaged in the direction of graduate students in masters or doctoral programs. Nominees must have been on the faculty at UIC for at least four academic years. Winners of the Graduate Mentoring Award will not be eligible for the award again for five academic years.
Given the immense academic diversity on campus, there will be no single set of criteria appropriate to all nominees. Nominators are encouraged to think creatively about the many and diverse ways in which faculty can contribute to the development and support of graduate students. Examples of the kinds of contributions that might be rewarded with a Graduate Mentoring Award include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting intellectual growth through graduate teaching and thesis direction.
- Fostering the development of graduate students' communication skills in written and oral presentations.
- Effective direction of dissertations, including timely evaluation, guidance and feedback on dissertations.
- Being accessible to students for discussion of intellectual or professional questions and concerns, communicating with them effectively and respectfully, and encouraging such interactions.
- Educating students in the culture of the appropriate disciplines, helping them to network with other professionals.
- Providing career counseling and placement assistance including possibilities outside of the academy.
- Actively helping students to progress to degree in a timely fashion and to develop the skills necessary to professional success.
- Excellence and innovation in teaching, including the development of interdisciplinary or non-traditional initiatives.
- Promoting a climate of respect and collegiality that enhance the graduate experience and increase chances of success.
Each department may nominate one candidate for a mentoring award each year. Departments are strongly encouraged to devise a selection procedure that includes graduate students and alumni. Nominations are submitted to the Graduate College via secure Box link. The documents should be submitted as a single PDF file in the following order:
- The Mentoring Award Cover Sheet
- The nominee's CV
- A statement (not more than 1200 words) written by the nominee outlining his or her approach to Graduate mentoring
- A list of all graduate courses taught by the nominee in the past four years
- A list of all graduate students supervised by the nominee in the past four years and the status of their projects
- A list of the nominee's advisees who have graduated in the past four years and information about their current employment
- A description of other activities though which the nominee has contributed to graduate education at UIC
- A letter of support from the department head or DGS
- A letter of support from a current graduate student
- A letter of support from a recent alumna or alumnus (of the past four years)
- A description of the process by which the nominee was selected
We recommend that departments begin the selection process as soon as possible to solicit opinions from graduate students, alumni, and faculty and provide adequate time to prepare the application. Letter writers should be lined up by February 1st, 2018.
Nomination packets will be reviewed by the Graduate College Awards Committee.
Deadlines and Announcement of Awards
- Mentoring Awards Nomination PDF file upload due to the Graduate College: March 13th, 2018
- Announcement of Recipients: April 18th, 2018
- Reception Honoring Recipients: Spring 2018 (date forthcoming)
- Save the forms/documents listed above as one single PDF per nominee. Tips on combining multiple PDF documents
- The PDF files should be saved using the following naming convention:
Example - AY 2015-2016 nominee from History named William Smith:
- Do not have spaces in the pdf name. There is a 2GB size limit on each individual file.
- When you are ready to upload PDF file to the Graduate College, use the correct Box email address below.
- The file is secure and only the owners of the Box account (i.e. Graduate College staff) have access to veiw the contents of the file.
Email Mentoring Award Nomination PDF Files to the Graduate College by Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 via Box. The deadline was extended until 4 p.m. on 3/21. The competition is now closed.
- Email Arts & Humanities submissions to MA_AH.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Behavioral & Social Sciences submissions to MA_BSS.email@example.com
- Email Engineering, Mathematics, and Physical Sciences submissions to MA_EMPS.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Life Sciences submissions to MA_LS.email@example.com