You are here
GC 509: Advanced Pronunciation for ITAs
What is GC 509?
GC 509 is a 2 credit course designed for current or prospective international teaching assistants to improve their English pronunciation and develop clear speaking skills. Students learn strategies to improve their own pronunciation by practicing individual sounds (vowels and consonants) and sounds within sentences (such as stress, rhythm, and intonation). Students will engage in interactive lessons and receive feedback from instructors and peers.
GC 509 is eligible to be used as an elective, although all programs may not allow the credit to be used towards degree requirements. If this is a concern, students are advised to confer with their Director of Graduate Studies.
When does this course meet?
One section of GC 509 will be offered in Summer 2018 and in Fall 2018.
Summer meets 4-5:50 pm on Tuesdays AND Thursdays.
Fall meets 5-6:50 pm on Tuesdays AND Thursdays.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Understand your pronunciation strengths and weaknesses
- Learn to improve your own pronunciation by practicing strategies that you learn in class
- Produce more organized and coherent explanations and presentations
- Develop your listening skills to help you hear the sounds of American English
- Demonstrate improved pronunciation with field-specific language
- Complete the oral English certification process (if needed)
Course Topics (subject to change)
• Thought groups/chunking
• Syllable stress
• Reducing function words (e.g., of, the)
• Discourse markers
• Vowels and Consonants
• Connected speech
• Self-regulated practice
• Reflecting on difficulties