You are here
Outstanding Thesis Award
The Annual Graduate College Outstanding Thesis Awardis given to the most outstanding doctoral dissertation or master's thesis in each of the four Graduate Program divisions. Each of the four awards include a monetary award.
The divisional categories are:
- Behavioral and Social Science
- Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences
- Fine Arts and Humanities
- Life ScienceS
Every calendar year, each graduate program can nominate one graduating student with the terminal graduate degree of their UIC program (if the program at UIC does not have a PhD, a master's thesis is eligible). The student will have already successfully defended the thesis or dissertation, submitted it and had it cleared by the Graduate College, and officially graduated.
For the 2014 cycle, eligible students are those with the terminal degree for their program whose degree was awarded by UIC in Fall 2013, Spring 2014, or Summer 2014.
The Director of Graduate Studies for a program must put forth the nomination of the outstanding thesis/dissertation.
The program/department collects and submits the following items as a single PDF file to the Graduate College via a secure link, for review by the Awards Committee:
- A completed Annual Graduate College Outstanding Thesis Award Application (fillable Word template).
- A letter of nomination from the Director or Graduate Studies or Department Head describing the impact of this research on the field.
- A letter of support from the primary advisor (i.e., the advisor responsible for the research for the thesis).
- A copy of the thesis abstract (refer to the Graduate College Thesis Manual for format). Supplied by student.
- A concise (300 word maximum) description of the significance of the research presented in the dissertation or thesis. This may be based on the abstract but written in language suitable for faculty from neighboring disciplines. Supplied by student.
- A current curriculum vita that includes a list of awards, honors, publications, and presentations. Supplied by student.
The Awards Committee of the Graduate College has established the following deadline for the program/department to submit a single PDF file of all of the required material listed above:
- October 13, 2014
Program/Department Nomination Due to the Graduate College
- December 1, 2014
Announcement of Awards