You are here

Graduate College tuition and selected fees waivers

The Board of Trustees (BOT) of the University of Illinois provides a limited reserve of waivers to the UIC Graduate College, which we then award to programs in three ways: allocated per semester, for students who have won individual internal and external fellowships, and for students selected for external training grants by programs.

Students who are interested in receiving a Graduate College waiver must speak to the Director of Graduate Studies for their academic program. All Graduate College waivers are requested by the academic program, not directly by the student.

Directors of Graduate Studies and their staff should refer to the Waiver Handbook for complete information on Graduate College waivers, including how they are allocated, how to request them, and deadlines.

In general, a student holding a Graduate College waiver must be registered full time, being at least 12 credits in the Fall and Spring and 6 credits in the summer. The student must also be in good standing.

Graduate College waivers cover the following charges:

  • Full tuition, including differential, if any
  • Service fee
  • Health service fee
  • Academic facilities maintenance fund assessment (AFMFA)
  • Library and Information Technology Assessment (LITA)
  • $125 (Fall 2012 and Spring 2013);
    $150 or 33%, whichever is higher (Fall 2013 and Spring 2014);
    $175 or 35%, whichever is higher (Fall 2014 and Spring 2014), of the cost of University health insurance (CampusCare) if the student chooses to be covered by the plan, provided in the fall and spring semesters only.

Graduate College waivers do not cover the following charges:

  • General fee
  • CTA transportation fee
  • Student-to-student fee
  • Sustainability fee
  • The remainder of the cost of health insurance after the $125 payment

For a complete tuition and fee schedule, please refer to the Office of Registration and Records.

For any questions about Graduate College waivers, please contact Marie Khan, Fellowship and Financial Aid Coordinator, at or at 312.355.3456.

Tuition Waivers and Student Loans  

A Graduate College waiver plus any federal loans and/or work-study cannot exceed the cost of attendance for the academic year. If applying for loans and/or work-study a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed.  See the Graduate Student Guide from the Office of Student Financial Aid for more information.