You are here
Graduate College New Student Orientation
Congratulations on beginning your graduate education at UIC!
The GraduateCollegewill be holding a Graduate New-Student Orientation for students admitted for Fall 2014 on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 from 8:45 AM to 12:00 PM in Student Center West (SCW). It will be in the Thompson Rooms, as well as a concurrent Resource Fair (from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM) in the lobby outside of the Thompson Rooms.
Once you have received your official admission letter from the Graduate College (via the Admissions Office), you will be able to register for orientation by signing into the UIC portal, my.uic.edu,and looking for Graduate New-Student Orientation under UIC Connect. Instructions for UIC Connect will be provided with your official admission letter. When you first enter UIC Connect,there is a tab called "Pathway to Enrollment." Under this tab, you will be able to see information about signing up for orientation. Due to space limitations, there is a limit on the number of students who can attend, so be sure to register early!
The New Graduate Student Orientation will be held in the Thompson Rooms of Student Center West (2nd Floor). Please see the west campus map here. Student Center West is located at 828 S. Wolcott on the corner of Polk and Wolcott.
Check-in begins at 8:20 AM, with opening remarks beginning promptly at 8:45 AM. The program concludes around 12:00 PM.
The Graduate College orientation will offer you the opportunity to become familiar with Graduate College and other University staff, procedures, and services. There will be several speakers from a number of UIC service units, as well as from senior administrators.This event has a capacity of 550 students.
- Reservations will be taken online, through UIC Connect.
- Login information for UIC Connect is provided with your official admission letter sent from the Admissions Office, and signed by the Dean of the Graduate College. You will not have access to UIC Connect until your admission is finalized by the Admissions Office.
- Orientation information appears as a checklist item on the student's UIC Connect homepage.
Congratulations again on your decision to pursue graduate study. We look forward to seeing you on August 20th!
If you have any questions regarding the Graduate College orientation, please email email@example.com.
If your program is not within the Graduate College but you wish to attend the Graduate College New-Student Orientation, you will need to be placed on the waiting list. Send the request to the email address listed above. (To view a list of graduate programs that are not within the Graduate Collegeclick here.)
- Student Center West webpage
- Directions and Parking (public tranist and by car)
- Parking is at 1100 South Wood Street (there is a fee for parking). We encourage you to take public transit. The Blue Line Medical Center Stop and Pink Line Polk Street Stop are a very short walk. Also the #7 Harrison Bus, #157 Streeterville/Taylor Bus, #9 Ashland Bus and #50 Damen Bus are in close proximity.
While on campus, students may be able to obtain the I-card student ID. You will need to bring a printout of your Fall 2014 class schedule (from my.uic.edu) and a photo ID to the I-card office (not on site at orientation).
- For more information about the I-card and for locations on campus click here.
Please be aware that UIC offers several different orientation sessions for graduate students. You may be required to attend some of the following:
- Graduate College new student orientation
- Campus-Wide Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientations
- International Teaching Assistant (ITA) Orientation
- Office of International Services (OIS) new student orientation
- Individual degree program orientation(s)
- Individual degree program assistantship orienatation(s)
For questions about other orientations, please check with your academic program. Click here for additional information.