You are here
GC 509: Advanced Pronunciation for ITAs
What is GC 509?
GC 509 is designed for current or prospective international teaching assistants to improve their English pronunciation and develop clear speaking skills. Students learn strategies to improve their own pronunciation by practicing individual sounds (like vowels and consonants) and sounds within sentences (like rhythm and intonation). Students will engage in interactive lessons and receive feedback from instructors and peers.
How many credits is GC 509?
When does this course meet?
One section of Advanced Pronunciation Skills (GC 509) will be offered in Summer 2017 and in the Fall 2017. The instructor is Brian Rocca and the course will meet 4 p.m. – 5:50 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays in TBD. The CRN is 21806.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
1. perceive, recognize and produce features of American English pronunciation
2. integrate self-monitoring techniques into oral English production
3. practice English pronunciation with a multi-sensory approach (physical, visual, etc.)
4. demonstrate improved pronunciation with field-specific language
Course Topics (subject to change)
• Thought groups/chunking
• Syllable stress
• Reducing function words (e.g., that, but, the)
• Discourse markers
• Reflecting on issues and new skills