You are here

Diversifying Higher Education Faculty in Illinois Fellowship

The Diversifying Higher Education Faculty in Illinois Program (DFI) formerly known as the IMGIP/ICEOP was established by the Illinois General Assembly and signed as Public Act 093-0862 on August 4, 2004. This act combined the Illinois Consortium for Educational Opportunity Program (ICEOP) and the Illinois Minority Graduate Incentive Program (IMGIP) into one fellowship program. The purpose of DFI Fellowship Program is to increase the number of underrepresented faculty and staff in Illinois institutions of higher education and higher education governing boards.

State of Illinois Board of Higher Education  - DFI Fellowship Program Home Page

The DFI Fellowship Program has been reinstated for 2017-18 [update: 7/19/2017]!  

DFI Fellowship Program Application Instructions

UIC Graduate students must obtain the 2017-18 DFI Fellowship Program Applications from the Director of Graduate Studies [DGS] or Graduate Support Staff in their respective academic programs.  We ask DGS and Staff review students' applications for completeness prior to submittal. Only eligible applications will be forwarded to the statewide competition.  Students are required to submit original signatures on all forms and letters and delivered applications to: Ms. Demetria Ward in the Graduate College in room 611 UH by 4PM on Friday, August 4, 2017.  

If you have questions regarding the DFI Fellowship Program please contact: Ms. Demetria Ward, Graduate School Specialist at: or (312) 413-2559.  You may also contact Dr. Lunaire Ford, Assistant Dean at: regarding the fellowship.

Fellowships and Student Loans  

A fellowship will affect federal student loan or work-study. Typically, students with fellowships may not be permitted to borrow small amounts of federal loans due to cost of attendance regulation.  Check with the Office of Student Financial Aid on eligibility requirements.

If you have already received a refund for the current year in federal loans and you accept a fellowship, you may be responsible to return this refund to UIC.  Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for further information.

If applying for loans and/or work-study a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed. Click here for: FAFSA Website . Also, see the Graduate Student Guide from the Office of Student Financial Aid for more information.