What is the Performance Evaluation (PE) process?
- Immediately after an appointment has been made, the ITA will send two possible PEtopics that are basic to the ITA’s field to firstname.lastname@example.org. ITAP will choose one of those topics for the ITA to present, and 36 hours before the scheduled appointment time ITAP will email the chosen topic to the ITA, along with instructions for preparing for the PE.
- On the day of the PE, the ITA will check-in 5 minutes before their scheduled time at Behavior Sciences Building (BSB) 237. (ITAP is located on the second floor, near the central staircase.)
- Two evaluators will be present to videotape and rate the presentation; One evaluator will act as a “student” and take notes, ask questions, and interact with the ITA as if they were in a real classroom situation. The second evaluator will observe and rate language production skills as well as monitor the timing and videotape. They may also ask questions.
- The ITA will be given 10 minutes to give their presentation.
- At the end of the presentation, the “student” evaluator may ask an additional question or two for clarification.
- The ITA will then present a quiz question to be answered by the “student” evaluator. The ITA will explain and discuss the answer with the “student” in order to simulate an interaction that might take place during the ITA’s office hours.
- Results for the PE are sent to the ITA via email. The ITA’s department is also sent a letter stating the ITA’s Oral English Proficiency Certification status and TA teaching recommendations.