FMC Educational Fund Fellowship
2012-2013 Application Instructions
Description: Three to five awards of approximately $10,000 each, plus a tuition and selected fees waiver, for one academic year. Awards are not renewable, but previous winners are welcome to reapply. For more information on the background and history of the award, please visit the UIUC website at http://www.mba.illinois.edu/pdf/FMCBrochure.pdf.
Application Deadline: the UIC on-campus deadline is 5:00 p.m., Thursday, January 31st, 2013.
Application: The following materials must be submitted by the campus deadline, to Marie Khan (firstname.lastname@example.org) in ONE COMPLETE HARDCOPY PACKET. Everything MUST be single-sided and NOT stapled (I will be scanning it all) and in the following order. If you have electronic transcripts please let me know, and I will get those files from you and combine them with your application. If you have all your materials and you have the ability to scan, you are more than welcome to do that as well and just email me your application (email@example.com), provided it is complete and in the below order.1. FMC Educational Fund Fellowship Transmittal Form: This is a form which you and your Director of Graduate Studies should complete- it is the first page in your application.
2. Notice of Graduate Admission: this is the letter from the UIC Graduate College confirming your admission to a graduate program. If you have not retained a copy, your department should have one on file.
3. Application for Graduate Appointment: completed and signed by the applicant. Click on the link to obtain this form.Do not provide a 300-word statement; instead, you must include a Background Essay, as described below. Do not write “refer to résumé” and include a résumé; the résumé will NOT be reviewed by the selection committee.
4. Three Letters of Recommendation: click on the link to obtain this form. Recommendation letters must be written specifically for your application to the FMC award -- letters from your application to graduate school are not permitted. Recommendation letters can be mailed or emailed directly to Marie Khan (firstname.lastname@example.org, mailing address: 601 S. Morgan Street, 633 UH, MC 192, Chicago, IL 60607). Letters in any form must include a signature. If you are turning in the letters with your application, they should be in a sealed and signed envelope.
5. Background Essay: this is a two- to three-page narrative describing you, your graduate achievements, and what you want to do once you have completed the degree. Essays should be double-spaced in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1” margins all around.
6. Transcripts: all post-secondary transcripts are required. Scanned photocopies of official transcritps from any non-UIC institutions are acceptable; you must submit one official UIC transcript. Printouts of your academic history from the Internet are NOT acceptable. Electronic transcripts can be ordered and sent to Marie Khan (email@example.com), as well as hard-copy versions (please keep in mind these take several days to get processed, however). For UIC ordering information see http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/student_records/transcripts.html.
Please do not send materials other than those described above, such as résumés, vitas, published articles, TOEFL scores, any sort of cover sheet, etc. They will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications submitted past 5 p.m. on Thursday, January 31st, will not be accepted